Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Banana Ice Cream

 I've mentioned before I'm not a banana person. I really wish I was. Every now and again, I'll be brave and try something banana. I just can't get myself to like the flavor. Let's keep hoping that will change in the near future. Until then, I'll continue to make banana breads, cakes, and now ice cream for those who love bananas! It's actually somewhat genius to bake things in a flavor you don't like when you're trying to lose some weight but I digress.... 

 Back to the ice cream. Since there's only one person in the house who eats bananas, I have a freezer full of ripe ones. I usually make a bread, bundt cake, etc but this time I wanted to step things up a bit and make banana ice cream! That's right homemade banana ice cream! So I turned to Alton Brown for a recipe that got 5 stars and all positive reviews. It was a crowd- pleaser, just ask my coworkers! Luckily for them, Nadya found it to be too tasty that she wanted it out of the house so she didn't eat it all! I guess it's that good! If you're a banana lover, I think this is just for you! 

Banana Ice Cream from Alton Brown

6 (approximately 2 1/4 pounds) ripe bananas
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Place bananas in freezer and freeze overnight. Remove bananas from freezer and allow to thaw for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Peel bananas and place in bowl of food processor along with the lemon juice. Process for 10 to 15 seconds. Add corn syrup and vanilla bean seeds and turn processor on. Slowly pour in the heavy cream. Process until smooth. Chill mixture in refrigerator until it reaches 40 degrees. Transfer mixture to an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions. Place mixture in an airtight container and freeze for 3 to 6 hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment