Friday, May 4, 2012

Guest Post: Apple Rhubarb Pie

When Lynn asked me to guest blog, I was beyond ecstatic. I mean, it really was a culmination of life events for me. Lynn is just the coolest and the fact that she asked me to guest blog on her cooking blog means more to me than she can ever imagine.

A little about me, the best-guest-blogger-ever (sorry Sara):
My name is Melissa and I am a real housewife of the suburbs of Philadelphia. With my busy schedule of working and doing tireless tasks such as grocery shopping and getting the mail from the mailbox, I like to make a little magic happen... in the kitchen that is! I recently have been obsessive been trying to get rhubarb, even though it is barely in season (I was trying to seriously wow my future parent in-laws with my awesome baking skills over Easter with a serious rhubarb recipe, but much to my chagrin, none was available! Oh the injustice of life! So we got the next best thing.. an iced vanilla cake in the shape of a bunny that could have sent a diabetic to their grave. But the rhubarb has been a burning desire that I just could not squash. Thus, when Lynnie decided to ask me (ME!!!!) to guest blog, I knew what I had to make! So, all you need to know about me is that I am the best!

BUT, I end this little blurb about the best-guest-blogger-ever with a challenge: Paul, my betrothed, can literally do nothing right, not even load the dishwasher correctly, EXCEPT, he makes the best pizza dough this side of Italy. I say for a bit of fun and good natured fun, Paul and Lynn have a dough-off in Lynn's test kitchen. We make the pizza and a blind taste test will ensue. What do you say there Lynn? Are you chef enough?

YELC (Your Even Loving Chef),
Melissa
 
 
Apple Rhubarb Pie: 
This recipe was  borrowed from Cooking Light Magazine, April 2012 issue.
 
Hands on time: about 40 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour and 15 minutes

Ingredients:
1 pre-made pie crust (such as Pillsbury)
Cooking Spray
3 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb
1 cup granulated Sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
1 cup all purpose flour, divided
1/2 cup brown sugar
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Method:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Place pie dough on a lightly floured surface; fit to a 9" pie plate.
Spray your pie plate liberally with cooking spray.
Place the pre-made pie dough into the pie plate. Make sure there is enough 'overhang' so you can flute ( I don't know what 'flute' means, so I folded, into what I thought, was decorative).

Combine rhubarb, granulated sugar, lemon juice and apples; toss.
 
 
Sprinkle the mixture with cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 3 tablespoons of flour; toss.
Spoon (I used a slotted spoon since it was super runny) the mixture into the pie plate with prepared crust.

Set the prepared pie aside.
 


Level 3/4 cup of flour in a medium bowl. Add 1/8 teaspoon salt, brown sugar, and cut up 6 tablespoons of butter and mix (the recipe calls for the use of a pastry blender- whatever that is). I used two knives in a fashion to 'cut' the butter, like one would cut meat. Do this until the mixture resembles a mealy texture, or until your arms get tired (which seriously happened).
 

Stir in the walnuts (Baker's note: chopped walnuts were a full two dollars more, for less. So being the genius that I am, I purchased the larger, whole walnut, measured out 1/3 cap, placed them in a sandwich bag, placed the bag level on a tea towel and beat the pieces into chopped with my french rolling pin.)

Sprinkle the butter/flour/walnut mixture over top of the entire pie. Make sure that you fill in all the crevices with the mixture.
 
 

Bake in the pre-set oven for 15 minutes.

Reduce the heat of the oven to 375 degrees and bake the pie for an additional 30 minutes or until golden brown. I had to bake mine for about 50 minutes, but I have an electric oven. if the crust seems to be browning, you can place some foil around the edges of the pie to protect it from burning.
 

Let the pie stand at least 15 minutes before serving.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I really need to find rhubarb in Spain!! This looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete