Friday, June 29, 2012

S'more Cookies

What screams summer more than s'mores? I'm not too sure. I don't think a summer has gone by that I haven't had s'mores. More so now in my adult life than when I was a child. I LOVE a fire pit. It's pretty much mandatory for my backyard. Perfect for spring and fall when some nights get too cold. It's also ideal for roasting marshmallows. Who roast marshmallows without going all the way and making s'mores? I'm not too sure about that either. 


I came across this recipe for s'more cookies. What fun! A nice twist on a classic summer treat. The recipe comes from the one and only, Martha. I was a little surprised that the recipe called for semisweet or bittersweet chocolate. Honestly, I only know Hershey's milk chocolate when it comes to s'mores. Since I only had semisweet chocolate on hand, I used that. I was a bit nervous about the outcome but it actually ended up working quite well.

These cookies were a hit, at home & work too. Although I learned that a lot of my coworkers don't like marshmallows. Didn't know that was possible. Aside from tasting so good, they look really cute too...at least I think they do. 

Make these for your next summer barbecue. The 4th of July is right around the corner! I promise you'll be the talk of the barbecue (in a good way for a change...I kid, I kid)!

S'more Cookies
Everyday Food July/August 2009

  • 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour (spooned and leveled)
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup light-brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into 30 squares
  • 15 large marshmallows, halved horizontally
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, pulse oats until finely ground. Add flours, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; pulse to combine. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, scraping down side of bowl. With mixer on low, beat in flour mixture just until combined.

Drop dough by tablespoons, 1 inch apart, onto two baking sheets. Top each with a chocolate square. Bake just until lightly golden, 11 to 13 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Remove sheets from oven; heat broiler. Top each cookie with a marshmallow. One sheet at a time, broil until marshmallows are lightly browned, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment