Tuesday, June 12, 2012

When Life Gives You Lemons.....

.....Make Lemonade! Or so they say. 

My good friend, Gina, always says 'make limoncello'. Either way it works.  

Growing up, I loved me some lemonade mix. My mom and grandma Eckenrode (Sally) always kept it on hand for us and it was refreshing sugary drink on hot summer days that was easy for kids to make on their own. An extra bonus when they got the pink lemonade. 

I've somewhat grown up since then and don't keep the sugary stuff on hand.  I was recently in the mood for lemonade so I foregone the mix and got to squeezing some lemons. It's a lot of work squeezing the lemons but I promise the outcome is well worth it.

Once you have your lemon juice it's super simple! 

All you need is simple syrup (sugar water), cold water, and lemon juice. Don't be lazy and use lemon juice from a bottle! It won't taste as good. Get to squeezing, peeps!


Lemonade
Lots to Ladle (slightly adapted from foodnetwork.com)

1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of water (to boil)
1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 5-6 lemons)
1/2 gallon ice water
(sliced lemon, thyme springs, fresh mint to garnish) - optional 

Bring a 1/2 cup of water to a simmer over low heat, mix in sugar until dissolved. Pour sugar water mixture into a pitcher. Add lemon juice and remaining water. Mix well. Serve with sliced lemon and herbs.



1 comment: